Thursday 23 July 2015

R: The Geneva Trap

Wow, I can't believe I am already on 'R' for my A-Z challenge! This time it is the turn of 'The Geneva Trap' by Stella Rimington. This is the 7th book in the Liz Carlyle series, of which there are currently 8. I unfortunately bought this before the wonderful days of Goodreads, so was unaware of its position in a series, so attempted to read this standalone. This made me apprehensive, and coupled with the mixed reviews I have seen, I wasn't sure what to expect!


Well, what can I say?! Oh the suspense, oh the drama!! I thought this story was SO clever! Stella Rimington is said to be a former head of MI5, and it shows! That background experience gives her stories such a credibility and plausibility, so they escape the far-fetchedness that a lot of crime/spy thrillers can suffer with! There were so many clever threads in the plot, so you finally think you have nailed-down a clue, then 10 pages later it has all been thrown back up in the air again! There was just the right number of characters: not too few that the story was easily predictable, but not too many that they became impossible to keep tabs on (another common problem with this genre). 

I really could not put this book down, and as a consequence, I stayed up far too late at night to finish it! I thought it was a clever move by Rimington to make some of the characters at risk Liz's friends and family, as it added an extra tier to the stakes, and made the story all the more exciting. 

I always make a point with this genre to try my hardest not to try and guess the ending. Had I tried to, there is potential that I could have worked out the ending ahead of time, but as I don't like to spoil books for myself in that way, it wasn't a problem for me and I was hooked right until the very end! I thought the ending was great as it tied up all the loose ends and left me completely satisfied! 

I really urge those of you considering this book to ignore all the negative reviews and pick it up! You don't need to read them in order, this works perfectly well as a standalone novel! Needless to say, I will be keeping my eye out for more from Liz Carlyle! A definite must-read from me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment