Monday 19 October 2015

Jamie Lawson's Debut Self-Titled Album

Hello everyone! 

I realise it has been a good while since I have posted on this blog, and you may think you've found yourself in the wrong place...she's talking about music now?!

I have been extremely busy with work for uni and settling back in, so I have to confess that I haven't had time to find any amazing books worthy of a blog post! However, what is much easier to find whilst working...is music :) I have a lot to say about Jamie Lawson and have been trying to think of who I can bore with my music ramblings...this is why I love my blog! I can ramble away into cyberspace, and I don't have to see the bored face of any unsuspecting victim!

I wake up to the radio every morning, and recently, Jamie Lawson's 'Wasn't Expecting That' has quite often been the song I have woken up to. I think it's such a beautiful song! The first word that comes to mind is 'heart-breaking'...it's not easy to listen to a song talking about such a beautiful romance and a happy life which ends so abruptly and tragically. Nevertheless, I am a sucker for lovely acoustics and a good male voice, so it had me gripped and hasn't let go since!

I was so intrigued that I decided to download his album, which is something I very rarely do! I usually pick and choose the songs I like. The only other people whose full albums I have downloaded are Michael Buble and Andrea Faustini!


I am so glad I did though, because I just think it's fantastic. At first listen, many people would think that the lyrics are quite depressing, but I don't see that. Let's take an example: 'Sometimes It's Hard'. This song has touched me and some other people I have sent it to, mainly because it's so honest. It's perfectly relate-able and it's what anyone who has dark days needs. It's a song that gets down there with you when you're feeling crap and says "Yes, I know you're finding life hard today, you're going through a bad time. I know how it feels, it's terrible. Just get through today, and tomorrow will be better, and next time this 'rain' comes along, you'll feel stronger to deal with it." I think that's really powerful. Sometimes, when you're feeling bad, you need someone to get down to your level and acknowledge that things are pretty crappy before they try to cheer you up! It ends on a hopeful note, reminding the listener that they are strong, and are a great person - the perfect ending!

On a similar note, I also love 'Let Love Hold You Now'. I'm sure many people can relate to that fantastic feeling when you're lying in your partner's arms and feel completely safe and contented. It's a time when all the anxieties of the day can just melt away, and that's exactly what this song describes. It has a really lovely melody too, which reminds me of a lullaby, and I have to say it has sent me to sleep on multiple occasions! (In a good way!) It just makes the listener feel so at-peace.

There is so much else I could say about this album! There are some other great songs that address different issues such as leaping into relationships, and also some really happy songs talking about the beauty of life, and the devotion of one's heart to another. I just think the lyrics are so beautiful.

To anyone who thinks it's just depressing, I would draw the example of 'Sadness' in the film 'Inside Out' - a personal fave of mine! Everyone has bad days, and sometimes the best thing isn't to ignore those days, or try to bottle those negative emotions away! People need to feel sad sometimes so that they can be more empathetic, and understand the bad days those around us have. Those who acknowledge their sad emotions as well as their joyful ones are a lot more in-touch with themselves, and it's not necessarily such a bad thing!

So really, I am writing this for 3 main reasons:
1. To thank Jamie Lawson and congratulate him on such a beautiful album. 
2. To thank Ed Sheeran for giving him the publicity he deserves! 
3. To get more people out there to go and listen to this album (if it isn't popular enough!), and to give the lyrics a chance! 

I hope you have enjoyed the slight change of topic I have brought with this blog post! If it has completely failed then don't worry, I will hop back into my book-filled comfort zone by next post! I'd love to hear from anyone else who loves this album as much as me :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment